Cloud computing day at OOW 2011 … how fitting. It’s that familiar San Francisco grey overcast (cloudy) sky. As OOW draws a to a close, we can all look back at a week filled with education, networking, discovery, and yet another reality check with the passing of Steve Jobs. I usually leave early AM on the last day of a conference but this time we all head out late this evening for the overnight jaunt to Chicago then Ottawa.
Pythian’s presence at OOW each year permits this fine company, of which I have been a part for a total of close to 8 years, to get higher on Oracle’s and the industry in general’s radar. There are so many differentiators that separate Pythian from other companies. Take homes from OOW?
- The database world will be waiting for at least 12-16 months for 12c; not a bad thing in my eyes
- Exa-this and Exa-that, watch out for Exa-everything when the install community embraces the existing offerings even more than it has already
- Came here wondering about MySQL and leaving here wondering even more so
- Oracle is already and, with the Sun acquisition, even more of a force to reckon with in the appliance/hardware space; ODA … a dream come true? Seems like that to me.
- The Applications get stronger by the minute.