Recently someone asked me if one could use Hadoop as the replacement for a relational database management system, as the data store for an app or a web-based application. My initial reaction was ‘no’, but upon thinking about it further I realized that someone, somewhere must be using Hadoop in real time, interacting in real time in a transactional way. So I searched my network and met my colleague, Christos Soulios who has been working on a project that does this very thing.
Christos is a Big Data Architect for Pythian. He mainly works around Big Data technologies such as Hadoop and on-premise installations, as well as cloud applications like Google Cloud, BigQuery, Redshift, and Amazon Technologies. Christos joins us today to share more about his experience working with Hadoop and the challenges that his team have dealt with on his current project building a mobile payments application.
You can find it on iTunes, Google Play, Sound Cloud, and just about anywhere that shares podcasts.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Find out more about the Hadoop architecture and how it functions.
- Understand the key differences between Hadoop and the key relational databases.
- Learn more about ACID and exactly what a transaction is.
- Christos shares more about his mobile payments application and how Hadoop was used.
- Understand more about the different technologies involved with using Hadoop.
- Find out more about the different challenges Christos and his team faced with Hadoop.
- Learn about the index updating process in their mobile application project.
- Discover how they monitor the latency performance for the mobile application.
- Understand more about the trends in the industry for using Hadoop.
- Christos share more about the preferred or most common languages to use with Hadoop.
- The project Christos is most proud of, the best tools he uses, and much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
What is a transaction? (From Technet)
Christos Soulios on LinkedIn
Christos on Twitter
Hadoop: The Definitive Guide
HBase: The Definitive Guide