On today’s show we welcome Warner Chaves back, to continue our exploration of SQL and data warehousing. Our focus today is the brand new Azure SQL DW from Microsoft. We chat with Warner about the service and the differences between it and other data solutions, like Amazon Redshift and Google BigQuery. We also get Warner’s expert insight into the inner working of Azure and how it may be used in different applications. Warner is a SQL Server Certified Master, MVP, and Principal Consultant at Pythian, a global technology company specializing in data and infrastructure services. A brief stint in .NET programming led to Warner’s early DBA formation, working for enterprise customers in Hewlett-Packard’s ITO organization. From HP he transitioned to his current position at Pythian, managing multiple clients of different sizes and industries. He leads a highly-talented team of data professionals that keep things running smooth and innovate with all kinds of data solutions. Tune in to hear what he has to say!
Key Points From This Episode:
• What is Azure SQL DW?
• The value proposition of data warehousing in the cloud.
• Lowered barrier of entry and to the platform.
• Uses for data warehouse and analytics for small offices.
• Differences between Azure, Big Query and Redshift.
• When is Azure SQL DW the program for the job?
• Using PolyBase within Azure SQL DW and how to split the data between multiple machines.
• Distributing data tables between nodes for stability and control.
• Investing in DBAs who are ‘development capable’ versus skills specialization.
• New security features that are unique to Azure.
• Location limited data warehousing between countries.
• Common usages for the architecture of Azure SQL DW.
• And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Interested in working with Chris? Schedule a tech call.