Today on the show we are talking to John Laham about the Google Cloud Next Conference which took place earlier this month in San Francisco. John currently works at Pythian as a Cloud Solution Architect focusing primarily on the Google Cloud.
John originally comes from a networking background and made his way to becoming a full stack engineer. From there he shifted into the cloud and has been working with it for seven years.
In this episode we dive into discussing the Google Cloud Next Conference, their top product announcements, and their top learning resources.
During the interview John says that he believes Google Next is what Google I/O morphed into. We fact checked it afterwards and want to report this isn’t true, and that Google I/O is alive and well. You can find more details about the conference here.
Key Points From This Episode
- Hear John’s background and how his path lead him to become a cloud solutions architect.
- Learn more about the Google Next Conference and who the conference is designed for.
- The most important product announcements made at the Google Next Conference ’17.
- Why PostgreSQL was a target for Google’s managed data services platform.
- How Google is moving to push ease of service and ease of use to cater to everyone.
- Find out how Google Cloud is trying to reposition themselves to be more enterprise friendly.
- Hear the best answers to customer questions and Google’s unique strategies.
- Understand how Google is playing the price game and getting their edge on competition.
- When John most recommends Google as opposed to the competitors in the industry.
- How Google’s open source strategy has made it easy for new users to transition to the cloud.
- The top learning resources that John recommends for getting educated.
- Which project John is most proud of and why For Dummies is his favorite book series.
- John’s tech preferences and his best tool that he uses on a daily basis.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode