Today on the episode, we are going to talk about the announcements from the Microsoft Data Amp Event (as well as the recently announced SQL Server 2017) with Warner Chaves.
Warner is a SQL DBA/Consultant at Pythian and has been working in database administration and consulting for almost eleven years. He is also a Microsoft Data Platform MVP, and continues to work with cloud-based platforms, mostly AWS and Azure.
In this episode, Warner joins us again, this time to discuss the Microsoft Data Amp 2017 event and dive into detail about all of the new and exciting announcements that were made. We dive into data migration services, the managed instance concept, today’s expectations of DBAs, and much more!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Learn more about the Data Amp Event and the big new announcements that were made.
- Find out about the Azure data migration service, moving from on-prem to the cloud.
- Discover more about the data migration process and how it decreases friction for migrating.
- Learn about “managed instance” and how it is implemented in the Azure SQL database.
- Hear as Warner shares some of his most exciting features announced at the Data Amp event.
- Find out why Warner believes DBAs only need to know the basics of R and Python.
- Understand why Warner recommends not making a career on small scale infrastructure.
- Learn more about Adaptive Query Processing and the impact of automatic tuning.
- Discover the benefits and compelling reasons to upgrade SQL Server 2014 to 2017.
- Why Warner believes that the architecture for cloud is going to be a hot commodity in the near future.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Interested in working with Chris? Schedule a tech call.