On today’s episode of the Datascape Podcast we are going to talk about the Oracle Database. With the hype around cloud and cloud first initiatives, automation, DevOps, and very specialized cloud-based databases, I wondered what was going on with one of the datascape’s old faithful technologies, Oracle Database.
Joining us is Simon Pane, who is an Oracle consultant and expert. Simon is very much immersed in the community and truly has his feet on the ground. He’s been working in the Oracle DBA space as a consultant for almost his entire career, with a focus around Oracle’s core database technologies. Simon often speaks at various conferences around North America and Europe. He was recently inducted as a board member to Independent Oracle User Group (IOUG), one of the main Oracle user groups.
You can find it on iTunes, Google Play, Sound Cloud, and just about anywhere that shares podcasts.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Learn more about which types of companies and organizations use the Oracle Database.
- Understand the different barriers of adoption for using the Oracle Database.
- Simon shares more about the average size implementation that they see at Oracle.
- Discover why the main use case for Oracle XE is for teaching and training purposes.
- Learn more about the current version of Oracle, and the new exciting features.
- Understand why it is complicated to upgrade an Oracle database, and preparation needed.
- Simon shares the top features and benefits of the Oracle database.
- Find out what the ODA and Exadata Appliances are, and the differences between them.
- Learn more about the Oracle Cloud and how they are working to become a major player.
- Simon shares his thoughts on Oracle as a product, and whether or not it is dying/dead.
- Hear about the project that Simon is most proud of, the best tool he uses, and much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Oracle Database Appliance
Simon on Twitter
More about Simon
ODTUG Kscope17 Conference