Today we welcome Derek Downey to the show. Derek is the Practice Advocate for the OpenSource Database practice at Pythian, helping to align technical and business objectives for companies and clients. Derek has also been a presenter at Percona Live Conference. The Percona Live Open Source Database Conference is the premier event for the diverse and active open source database community, as well as businesses that develop and use open source database software. The conference has a technical focus with an emphasis on the core topics of MySQL, MongoDB, and other open source databases.
In this episode, Derek focuses on the core topics of MySQL, MongoDB, and other open source databases and he shares more insights from his experience at the Percona Live Conference. Percona Live is an opportunity to network with peers and technology professionals by bringing together accomplished DBAs, system architects and developers from around the world to share their knowledge and experience – all to help you learn how to tackle your open source database challenges in a whole new way.
Key Points From This Episode:
• Derek shares all about the Percona Live Conference this year and MySQL.
• Hear more about ProxySQL that Derek presented on at the conference.
• Find out more about the different presenters and the interesting sessions.
• Discover whether there were any common themes at the conference this year.
• Learn why your level of experience matters when using the different DBs.
• Hear about some features that were announced and what Oracle plans to do with MySQL.
• Understand the branches, what they are and the key differences between them.
• Learn more about Oracle acquiring MySQL and how it has matured.
• Find out more about the type of people presenting at Percona Live.
• Hear more about new tool sets that are available such as Orchestrator.
• Derek talks more about cloud based MySQLs.
• Find out what the decision matrix looks like for someone making a decision on whether or not to build an On-Prem MySQL server or use a cloud based MySQL.
• Learn why there’s no danger for a MySQL DBA with automation, only good things.
• Understand how docker works and using it to virtualize applications.
• Hear about the evolution of the DBA career and whether Derek would recommend MySQL.
• Find out what advice Derek would give to new DBAs with regards to current technology.
• Discover what projects Derek is most proud of, his favorite book, and best app.
• And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Derek Downey on Pythian Blog
Percona Live Conference
Amazon Aurora DB
High Performance MySQL Book
Turn the Ship Around Book