Recently Microsoft announced Azure Cosmos DB, the successor for DocumentDB. One of our Datascape regulars, Warner Chaves, called me up to tell me how excited he was and how significant he thinks that this development is to cloud-based databases. By the end of the phone call I knew we had another interesting episode on our hands, so I have invited Warner back to the podcast today to tell us more about Azure Cosmos DB, its significance, and why we should be paying attention to it.
Warner is a SQL Server Certified Master, MVP, and Principal Consultant at Pythian, a global Canada-based company specializing in data and infrastructure services. A brief stint in .NET programming led to his early DBA formation, working for enterprise customers in Hewlett-Packard’s ITO organization. From HP, Warner transitioned to his current position at Pythian, managing multiple clients of different sizes and industries. He leads a highly-talented team of data professionals that keep things running smooth and innovate with all kinds of data solutions.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Warner shares who he is and what his career is today
- Find out what Azure Cosmos DB is and how it has taken over DocumentDB.
- Hear what exciting features from Azure Cosmos DB we should be on the look out for.
- Understand what’s special about the replication of Azure Cosmos DB.
- Discover the several options and different SLA’s (Service Level Agreements) of Cosmos.
- Find out why Spanner and Cosmos is going to be the next generation of NoSQL DB’s in the cloud.
- Learn which consistency models and guarantees are available in Cosmos.
- Hear more about sharding and choosing the best partition key.
- Understand indexing in Cosmos and optimizing.
- Learn what security models are in place in Cosmos DB.
- Discover the role of a DBA being involved in a company using Cosmos.
- Find out some use cases for this type of database.
- Hear about some of the strengths of Dynamo DB over Cosmos DB.
- Find out some key strengths of Spanner DB over Cosmos DB.
- Understanding the different companies and how to choose the right tools.
- And much more!
Connect With Today’s Speaker:
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Interested in working with Chris? Schedule a tech call.