Today we’re going to recap some of the most interesting concepts from the recently completed Oracle OpenWorld 2017 and to help us navigate this I have invited Simon Pane back to the show. Simon is an accomplished Principal Consultant, who has developed a multitude of complex solutions for Pythian clients. He leverages his understanding of the industry and technologies such as Oracle, SQL Server, Linux, Oracle Cloud, AWS and more, to propose timely solutions that best suit the needs of clients. Also joining us for the first time is Ivica Arsov. Ivica is an Oracle Certified Master 12c and 11g, and a recognized member of the Oracle ACE Program as an Oracle ACE Associate. He is a blogger and active contributor to the Oracle community and presents at many technology conferences. Known for his deep Oracle expertise and ability to troubleshoot quickly and efficiently, Ivica has the skills to solve problems quickly regardless of size and complexity. Keep listening to hear more!
Key points from this episode:
- Simon tells us more about his career at Pythian and the work he is doing with Oracle.
- Ivica shares with us on the work he is doing with Oracle while working at Pythian.
- The atmosphere at OOW this year.
- The common theme of automation and security.
- Competitive threats versus security threats.
- The new version of the Oracle database, 18c.
- Improvements in reduction of danger surrounding patching by balancing risk.
- The new autonomous feature and the NRX guarantee.
- Elasticity and automatic scaling.
- DBA’s focusing on tasks specific to the business in the world of automation.
- The trade-off of simplicity versus index.
- Machine learning being introduced with cyber security.
- New features coming out with 18c and 19c releases and architecture versions.
- Understanding how customers are at the mercy of vendors.
- Certifications bundled to a number of versions.
- Industry problems around tools and security assessment.
- Hear more about Ivica and some of his favorites in the lightning round.
- Simon tells us more about the UK Oracle User Group Conference taking place.
- And much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Interested in working with Chris? Schedule a tech call.